Today I am sharing details of a blouse that I made using a New Look pattern. I just had a look, and I think the last New Look pattern I made was back in 2018. I no longer tend to even consider New Look releases because I find the sizing to be very non-inclusive. That being said, this blouse runs to a UK Size 22, bust measurement 44 inches. Still not very inclusive but was ok for me with minimal alterations.
The fabric is a denim tencel that I purchased some time ago from Just Sew Penrith. This blouse would work best in fabrics with drape. This tencel has plenty of drape but is easy to care for and the denim look keeps things casual.
Overall, I liked how this came together. It’s well drafted and easy to wear. See below for details of pattern alterations.
- This is view A, size 18. I did grade out at the hips, but this probably wasn’t necessary after I removed 2.5 inches of length from the body. When the top was longer it was hitting at my widest point.
- I did a 5/8ths inch FBA which brought in a bust dart.
- I added 0.5 inches at the side seams at the hips but see above – probably wasn’t necessary once I shortened the blouse.
- I cut the largest size neck tie and added 5 inches of extra length at either end.
- I added a hook and eye at the shoulder opening under the tie. The blouse sits better with the hook and eye holding the shoulder opening closed.