Today I am sharing details of a completely unseasonal sleep set, but one which I am looking forward to wearing when the weather improves. To make this set I used the Helen’s Closet Dressing Robe pattern (pattern no longer available for sale), and the True Bias Ogden Cami, which I have made before (see here for details). The printed fabric is a heavy weight viscose that was in my stash, and the contrast bands were left over scraps from my Hannah dress. I think they work together pretty well.
The Robe has been on my to-sew list for ages. I am very pleased with the outcome but honest opinion: I think there are other robe patterns out there which might be easier to sew. I made the front band as per the instructions to get that squared off corner look, but I’m not sure it’s entirely worth it. If I was making this again I would probably just lengthen the front band to extend all the way down to the hem. I also encountered some issues with the printing of the pattern; things didn’t align and I am just glad the pattern was fairly basic because I had to do some fudging to get things to work. But I do like the finished robe, and the inner ties keep everything secure.
The slip dress underneath is simply a lengthened Ogden Cami. I added 1 inch to the length from my previous versions so check my original blog post for full details of adjustments that I have made to this pattern.
Dressing Robe Fit Details
- This is cut at view B. I wish I had kept it at view A. A smidge longer might have been nicer, but it’s still perfectly wearable.
- From memory I think maybe I cut the second largest size and graded out over the hips? I didn’t want to have to fiddle with an FBA and I figured just going over sized for a robe would be fine.
- I omitted the pockets.
- I positioned the waist ties 10 cm down from the arm hole seam. If I was making again I think I would make thread chains or belt loops rather than how the pattern has you do it.
- I haven’t sewn the belt in place. I wish I had sewn the belt pieces together before constructing, rather than how the instructions tell you to do it.
- I sewed the front band using the “concealed method”, but sewed from the wrong side first, and then topstitched closed from the right side. Next time I would probably just extend that front band all the way down to the hem.
See you all soon!