Hope you all enjoyed Christmas, if you celebrate. Here’s a quick post to share the last two makes of the year. Is there anything more festive than velvet and sequins? I don’t think so. Let’s dive straight in.
The first item in today’s post is a pair of sequin joggers that I made in the week leading up to Christmas, and which I wore on Christmas day as shown in these photographs. The black sequin fabric (sorry, hard to photograph), has been in my stash for a few years, and I had actually tried to de-stash it with no success. It felt like a challenge to transform it into something that suits my current style but I think I succeeded. I used Simplicity 8389 (modified) to make these pull on sequin jogger bottoms. See my last version of these pants here and the modifications I have made to the pattern (I have made this pattern several times now so search my blog using the pattern number to see all iterations).
Some things that you need to know:
- I did not remove any sequins from seam allowances and paid the price with three broken needles. I found switching to a size 100 denim needle helped a lot. It was mainly sewing over intersecting seam allowances which caused issues.
- I fully lined the joggers using a knit lining from my stash. I attached the ankle cuffs (heavy weight ribbing from stash) to the sequin leg openings, then sewed the lining over the cuffs and pulled the lining up inside the joggers and basted the lining to the sequin outer before attaching the waistband. This way everything was enclosed with no sequins next to my skin.
- When attaching the waistband, I sewed the waistband to the inside first, then brought it to the outside and top stitched it closed. The waistband has a drawstring to secure.
- See previous versions for full details of pattern alterations. No adjustments made to this version other than to remove about 1.5 inches from the rise to accommodate the waistband. I also eliminated the pockets to cut down on bulk. I attached a waistband with drawstring closure.
Next up, a cotton velvet top made using McCalls 8040. I have used the bodice and sleeves from this pattern on a couple of dresses, but you can read about the main alterations I made to this pattern here. I didn’t make any other alterations to this version. The cotton velvet was purchased from Simply Fabrics, and appears to still be in stock. I pre-washed my fabric with no issues. It sewed and pressed well. It holds the structure of the sleeves beautifully.
I originally had plans to make a Vampire’s wife inspired midi dress with a pleated trim. I had cut out all the pieces and started sewing it and after the initial try on I just wasn’t feeling it. Right now, I don’t have any formal or even semi-formal occasions to wear such a dress and I decided a top would be easier to wear. So I salvaged what I could and ended up with this top. C’est la vie.
I actually love both pieces. The joggers feel very glam but comfortable. And the top is a good one because it’s dressy but also warm, and I do like the neckline and the sleeves.
So that’s it from me for this year. Thank you dear Readers for your support, likes, comments and advice. Here’s hoping 2022 brings us all prosperity, peace, happiness and much creative joy.
See you soon!