Today I am sharing my version of the Lyra dress by Tilly and the Buttons. This pattern was gifted to me by Tilly and the Buttons with no obligation to share; all opinions are my own.
For this version I knew I wanted to use this fabric from my stash. It is a bronze animal print satin that I bought some time ago from Rainbow Fabrics. I wanted to make something that felt a little more dressy and special, but could easily be dressed down as well. I think it worked out pretty well, and this dress has already been worn out with heels for dinner and drinks, and to an afternoon tea with trainers.
Although my bust darts are not quite in the right place on this version, it hasn’t stopped me wearing this dress and feeling comfortable.
Pattern Notes/ Alterations
- This is a size 18 (size 7) from the smaller size block which runs upto size 24. The pattern is available upto a UK size 34 (sizes 16 – 34 are available from a plus size block).
- I could have cut a size 20 but I chose to cut a size 18 and make alterations because I felt it would be a better fit for me through the shoulders. I think that was the right decision to make.
- Finished garment measurements are given which is good.
- I omitted the pockets.
- I removed 3.5 inches of length from the top tier of the skirt.
- I added 1 inch of length to the midi tier panel (lower panel) of the skirt.
- I shortened the sleeve by 3 3/4 inches, but have added an inch back to the length for next time.
- I did a 1 5/8ths inch full bicep adjustment – which is a lot for me. This meant playing around with the sleeve cap height and as a result my sleeve head has slight (intentional) gathers. For next time I have removed about 0.5 inches of height from the sleeve cap.
- I did a 0.5 inch forward shoulder adjustment.
- I did a 1 inch full bust adjustment. For next time I have moved my bust darts down by 1 inch.
- I took 5/8ths inch for the hem.
- I added centre back seams to the inner collar stand and the under collar.
- I ended up using around 2.5 metres of fabric to make this dress, rather than the 3.5 metres indicated on the pattern.
Thanks to Tilly and the Buttons for the pattern: I do like the fit; it’s not too oversized, and I would like to make it again. I have some baby cord or some tencel waiting to be made up for my next version.
See you soon.