I have been searching for the perfect green viscose crepe print for at least a couple of years to make a dress, and finally found this fabric from Rainbow Fabrics (no longer available). It’s still not my perfect green fabric, but it’s close. I would perhaps have liked less white and more green, but viscose crepe happens to be one of my favourite fabrics to sew with, so yeah. I will take it as a win.
I chose to combine two patterns together to achieve this look: the bodice and sleeves are from McCalls 8040, which I have made before: see here. The skirt is from McCalls 7971. I wanted the slit in the front and as the skirt has princess seams front and back, it meant the seams aligned with the princess seams of the bodice fairly easily. I did make some adjustments to the skirt (see below), and I am pretty pleased with the outcome. I have already worn this dress a couple of times, and it’s very easy to wear.
- See my original post for the adjustments I previously made to the blouse. I simply shortened the blouse at the waist
- The neckline of the bodice is still finished using the facings, but I overlapped the front edges by about 0.5 inches and sewed non functioning buttons through all layers of fabric to close
- The skirt is size 22 and I added extra width at the side seams for fit insurance, but I ended up taking a ton of width (like a lot) out of the side and back princess seams at the waist of the skirt and the blouse
- I did do a 1 inch full tummy adjustment and a 1 inch full bum adjustment
- The skirt is view C, without the pockets, and I ended up removing a further 1.5 inches of the length
- I increased the height of the slit by 4 inches
- I cut the skirt back on the fold
- I interfaced the side seam on one side and added an invisible zipper
- The sleeves are the longest length sleeves, shortened by 4.5 inches, and with 4 rows of shirring done 0.25 inches apart about 1.5 inches up from the finished hem. I think the sleeves are my favourite part of the dress 🙂
Very easy to wear, and perfect to wear on warm summery days.
See you soon.