Today I am sharing the swimsuit I wish I had made before we went on holiday, but didn’t. I figured I should make the swimsuit anyway once we were back, because having a great fitting swimsuit to hand is always a good thing. This was made using Butterick 5795, and this is the second time I am making this pattern. You can see all the details, including adjustments, to my first version here.
This new version was made using fabrics from Tessuti Fabrics. I actually purchased this fabric (and some plain black swimsuit lining) using part of the voucher I won in the Tessuti Color In Thirds Contest back in 2019. It is a beautiful quality fabric, and whilst I was worried about the fact this fabric (and the lining) are much lighter than the fabric and lining I used for my first version, both fabric and lining sewed up and have performed beautifully.
Pattern Adjustments for this Version
- I made sure the swim suit lining at the centre front was trimmed down (by 3/8ths inch) to avoid it peeking up at the centre front, which happens with my first version.
- I left the height of the back as is, but narrowed the front crotch by 1 inch width.
- I lowered the armholes by 0.5 inch.
- I slashed and spread the tummy area more to introduce more ruching further down the tummy area (an additional 3 inches of ruching added in this area).
- I did a 1 inch sway back adjustment.
- I cut the lining on the cross grain as instructed, but cut the swimsuit fabric on grain due to the direction of the print.
- As last time, I did my own thing with the elastic, and measured the lengths needed for the arm/ leg openings, and removed 1.5 inches for the armholes, and 2 inches for the leg openings. I also applied the first pass of elastic using my overlocker which looks much neater, but was tricky to do. The elastic is fine, but for next time I will try and stretch it a little more at the bum area. I just applied the elastic to the neckline with a slight stretch. In my first suit the elastic was far too over stretched I feel. This suit is much better.
Overall, I am thrilled with how this turned out. It feels comfortable and supportive. My very first swimsuit (see here), the straps were attached to the body of the suit separately, with elastic inserted into the straps, and personally, I found them to be so uncomfortable. That’s one of the reasons why I prefer this suit with its cut on straps; much more comfortable and supportive. I also love the crossover style and the tummy ruching. I see more of this pattern in my future, although I have a second cut of swimwear in my stash which is bonded, which I don’t think would work for this type of style. I have a Kwik Sew pattern I might try next.
See you soon!