Today I am sharing an outfit that was super quick to whip up, but which I can already see both pieces being worn in so many ways within my wardrobe. The skirt was made using Butterick 6179 and the top was made using view B from Simplicity 2317. I have made other views from both of these patterns before, and have in fact made the skirt from Butterick 6179 as part of an Indian lengha outfit – see here for modifications I made previously.
I knew I didn’t want to break the pattern up on this animal print viscose crepe jacquard, so I simply overlapped the side front/ side back seams with the front and back pieces and cut the front on the fold to eliminate the seam lines. I love how it turned out, although if I made this again I might do a small full tummy adjustment. I did end up letting the seams out slightly at the high hip area.
I made sure to interface the back zipper area and I also managed to cut this skirt out of 1.8 metres of fabric, rather than the suggested 2.7 metres (due to overlapping the seams). I let the skirt hang for 24 hours and ended up shortening it by about 4 inches, and did a narrow hem finish. I love the end result.
The T-shirt was made using view B from Simplicity 2317. I wanted an oversized look so I cut a straight size XL and removed 2 inches from the length of the sleeves and 1.5 inches from the length of the body. I took 3/8ths inch for the side seam allowances. This is probably the happiest I have ever been to wear “just a T-shirt”. It’s not clingy at all, and in this bamboo lycra jersey just falls away from my body.
I can definitely see that my style has changed a lot over the last 12 months, and I am enjoying the transition. I think the on going impact of Covid 19 on our lives has also made my style choices change somewhat. You can expect to see more easy to wear pieces from me, but hopefully still focusing on fit, and made in quality fabrics.
See you all soon!