Lockdown sewing continues, and although the restrictions in our part of the world are being lifted somewhat, life has still not returned to normal. I have had this dress idea for Kezia (11) for some time now, and as I am trying not to sew too many fancy things for myself, why not fill my desire to sew pretty things by making something for my only child, hmm?
The embroidered tulle was purchased quite some time ago from one of my favourite eBay sellers, The Textile Centre. It was a 2 metre piece, which was enough to cut this dress. I essentially treated the fabric as a directional border print, and cut the bottom of the skirt and the front bodice at the selvedge were the embroidery was more predominant, and placed the rest of the pieces towards the middle of the fabric where the embroidery was less. Overall, I am happy with the placement. You will notice that I have left the edges raw and I used a three thread overlock finish on the seams. French seams would have been pretty for sure, but I don’t have the patience to do those for a growing child 🙂
- I cut a size A
- I raised the dart by 1.5 inches
- I cut the pattern off at the waist
- I changed the front neckline from a V to a round neck
- I added a centre back seam to the back piece
- I omitted the half lining and finished the neckline with bias binding
- I took a wedge out from the centre back (1″), tapering to 0.5″ at the side seams and to nothing at the front bodice
- I did a simple turn and stitch in the back to create a slit opening, closed with a thread loop and button. The fit is easy enough to pull the dress on and off
The skirt is a simple rectangle, gathered, and attached at the waist.
For some reason, that little red button makes me happy 🙂 Even though with all that hair no one will probably ever see it!
The slip dress that you can just about make out underneath is the True Bias Ogden Cami, which I have blogged about for myself (see here), and which I have made for Kezia before (but not blogged). From memory, I think this is the smallest adult size with no real modifications. For the slip dress I simply added 27 cm of length to the cami at the lengthen/ shorten lines.
The fabric for the slip is a silk/ acetate blend that I found on Fabworks. I did sample first and got lucky with the colour match. 1 metre of fabric was just enough to make this work!
I am so happy with how this turned out. Kezia also loves it. Now we just need some occasion for her to wear it!