It’s been a short while. In case you are not on Instagram, I wanted to let you know what’s been happening with me, and why I might not be sewing and blogging quite as much for a brief period. 10 days ago, whilst I was at the gym, I had a brain haemorrhage. Sounds scary right? Well, at the time it was. All I can say is thank goodness for the amazing health care system we have in this country.
I was rushed to hospital for tests and, following various scans and angiograms, it was established as a venous, as opposed to arterial bleed. Apparently this was the best possible outcome. It means that I am no more likely to have another occurrence than anyone else. It also meant that I did not require any further surgical intervention, and it is just conservative management. I did not have any predisposing factors…this could have happened to anyone. It is relatively rare.
I was discharged from hospital after a week and have been at home since then slowly recovering. I am making improvements every day. I don’t have any neurological deficits. So I have much to be thankful for. I have not been in my sewing room since this happened….I am just taking it slow. But it’s a chance to get caught up on my blogging and think about future projects (and maybe buy some fabric :-)) I am sure it won’t be long before I am ready to do some sewing therapy!
Waterproof Cascade Duffle
So, anyway, before all this drama (!), I managed to make a second version of the Grainline Cascade Duffle coat, but this time using a waterproof outer fabric that I purchased from the now defunct Paron Fabrics in New York (2.5 years ago! Wow!) I should mention that this waterproof fabric appeared to be needle ready, with a knit interfacing already fused to the reverse side of the fabric, which did speed up the process of preparing to sew this coat quite considerably. Here’s a link to my first Grainline Cascade Duffle coat.
p.s. all these photos were taken before I went into hospital, in case anyone was wondering!
I have been wanting to make a new waterproof coat in forever! I have made other, lightweight waterproof coats, but I wanted to make one which was a little warmer. I had all the supplies to make this new version sitting in my sewing room, but for whatever reason, I just kept putting this project off. I am so pleased that I finally pushed myself in to making this project.
Only very minor ones, essentially to get the look I wanted:
- I added 0.5 inches to the side seams front and back from the waist down
- I overlapped the lower body pieces front and back and cut the fronts and backs as single pieces
- I added a fur trim to the hood. That’s the only slight niggle with this coat: the hood feels rather large and the fur pulls the hood further forward. Don’t know if I might need to go back later on and modify it somehow…
- I drafted and added pocket flaps
- I drafted storm flaps for the front and back. I basically just traced off the front and back shoulder/ armscye pieces and extended the length to be approx. 1.5 inch below the yokes. The flaps extend into the armscyes and front bands
- I added sleeve heads made from poly fleece and shoulder pads
- I catch stitched the lower hem facing to the coat. This is something I had to go back and do retrospectively to my first wool version too. Otherwise the back hem facing wants to sag down
- Replaced toggles with snaps and added snaps to the pocket flaps and the back storm flap
During the christmas sales I picked up a RTW down filled waterproof jacket which is very practical, and has been worn. However, I don’t love the colour (bright blue) or the fit (makes me feel dumpy!) Whilst I will always need a down filled jacket in my wardrobe for the very coldest of months, this coat feels more stylish and, I think, fits me better. And that is why I have all but stopped buying RTW garments.
So good to be back with you all! Have a great weekend.