As I mentioned in my last post, I have really been trying to add to the “tops” section of my wardrobe: ideally, a mixture of tops which are suitable for both work, smart and casual wear. One of the tops which I have made in the past and have enjoyed wearing is my New Look 6374. I have worn this top such a lot thrown over skinny jeans and layered with a long line cardigan. But, the fit through the armscyes was never right. It felt too constrictive. So that was the main fit issue I had to address. (BTW, apologies for the quality of the photographs in this post: the day these were taken (rather hurriedly before work), was the day we had a bad storm and it was particularly windy and dark).
The fabric that I used is this gorgeous Helena Viscose that I purchased from the cutest sewing shop ever: Holm Sown in Castle Douglas, when I visited there in the summer. It washed and sewed perfectly, and I love the colours. They seem completely autumn appropriate, although I think I could pair this top with e.g. pink jeans and it would also be fine for warmer weather too. This is a tunic top and is actually quite long (see my original version of this), but I wanted to show it’s versatility and am wearing it tucked into my skirt for these photographs.
Speaking of the skirt, this is my second version of Butterick 6182. See my first denim version here. That version was donated a while back. Looking at the photographs, I can see why: I obviously needed a full bum adjustment, which I did on this version. So much better – although not perfect – see my fitting notes below. Comparison:
The delicious tan coloured corduroy is an 8-whale corduroy purchased from this ebay seller. Again, washed, pressed and sewed well. I would actually love a pair of corduroy culottes in this fabric! I love this version of the skirt so much more than the first version. I am really digging the 70s vibe.
New Look 6374 fitting notes:
- Essentially, I made the armscye and sleeve cap on this pattern match those from Simplicity 8014 (see here for my shirt versions). I find the fit on that pattern really comfortable.
- I moved the shoulder seam forward by 5/8ths inch.
- I took a 0.5 inch tuck out of the front armscye.
- The Simplicity 8014 armhole had more depth both front and back, so I overlapped New Look 6374 and made both match. I did the same for the sleeve cap.
- I did a 1 inch FBA, closed the side dart and converted the dart to shoulder gathers.
- The back sleeve on this version ended up being longer than the front and I had to ease the back in to fit, which is why the sleeves look a little strange, but I have adjusted the pattern for next time.
Butterick 6182 fitting notes:
- Did a 1 inch full bum adjustment.
- Added 0.5 inch to the hem but ended up taking a 2.5 inch deep hem.
- My one regret with this skirt is that I wish I had curved the waistband. Coupled with the fact that corduroy will grow with wear, after I had finished this skirt I really regretted the fact that I hadn’t done that. My solution was to add belt loops, and that is what has saved this skirt! The narrow belt just keeps the skirt secure and stops it from twisting and sliding around.
- I have altered the waistband for next time.
- The pattern advocates using an invisible zip. Whilst they are my favourite type of zip I know that they are not good for bulky fabrics. So I did a lapped zip and extended the left hand side waistband and sewed a trouser hook and eye under it to close the waistband.
Overall, I love both these pieces and the fact they are so versatile. The tunic top can (and has already) been worn with skinny jeans and the skirt will go with polo necks and shirts. Wearing these colours makes me feel happy and I feel on trend, warm and comfortable.