I first made this Burdastyle sweatshirt pattern up 3 years ago – see here for my first version. I like the idea of a smarter looking sweatshirt, but the first version didn’t get worn too much because the fabric really wasn’t very good quality (started to pill after a few wears). Also, it is designed to be oversized, but I decided the fit needed refining some what.
I have to give full credit to Blogless Anna who made a Linden sweatshirt from the same fabric and who’s blog post I found invaluable in learning how to handle the Liberty fleece – go check her blog post out for all the details.
So, here’s the deal. I have worn this sweatshirt already a fair bit. It is colourful, cheerful, snuggly and warm. The fabric, as you would expect from Liberty, is very good quality. But, I think this particular sweatshirt pattern is not for me. In fact, I think I have decided that Burdstyle plus size patterns might not be for me – at least if I use them I think I need to do small shoulder adjustments and maybe even address low armhole issues. Like I say I have worn this sweatshirt already, lots, but I don’t think the fit is great for me. Here’s the adjustments I made to this version:
- Removed 2.5 inches from length of sleeves
- Shortened shoulder darts by 1.5 inches
- Slimmed body down by 1 inch all around
- Slimmed sleeves down by approx. 4.5 inches (!)
- Shortened length of sweatshirt by 2.5 inches
- Twin needled the hem
- Gathered the sleeves in to a cuff
So this is a useful garment to have in my casual wardrobe, but I think I need to find a different sweatshirt pattern. Either I try the Grainline Linden, or I try one of the big 4 versions (I actually have McCalls 7688 on its way to me, cos, you know, ruffles).