Today I am so excited to share a perfect summer outfit made using fabrics from L.A based Stylish Fabric. They got in touch with me recently and asked if I wanted to try out some of their fabrics. The fabrics in this post were provided at no cost to me, but as ever, my opinions are my own.
The blouse was made using this gorgeous cotton and rayon gauze in blush colour. This fabric is delicious to wear and was easy to sew. I was expecting it to fray like mad, but it didn’t. I overlocked all my seam allowances. One thing I would say to watch out for is that I think this fabric shrunk quite a bit in the wash (unless I wasn’t sent as much as I initally thought?) I asked for 3 yards but I think I had about 2 yards (?) to play with. So, yep, not sure why that was. But, no matter, I ended up with a beautiful blouse that I will be happy to wear in hot weather.
The jeans are made using this white denim (currently 60% off). This non-stretch denim is the perfect weight for denim jeans, and is, I would say, ever so slightly off white. It washed, pressed and sewed beautifully. I used a Schmetz jeans needle and Gutterman top stitching thread, even though you can’t of course see the details. Full details on patterns below.
- Made using Pauline Alice Eliana Dress pattern modified to top length. You can see my first version of the top hack here.
- Moved the bust dart up by 1 inch.
- Added 3/8ths inch to side seams at hip.
- Made narrower self bias tape to bind the neckline and sleeve openings.
- Made using Butterick 6331. See first version of these pants here and my floral version here.
- These white denim jeans were actually version number 2, so see my first version for details of pattern amendments. Even though I didn’t make any alterations to the pattern from version number 1, these feel very different. Amazing what changing the fabric can do. These are boyfriend style, so fairly loose fitting, but still quite slim I think.
- I essentially followed the Closet Case Ginger Jeans instructions to make these.
- Interfaced the fly.
- Omitted interfacing in the waistband.
- Used lining fabric for the pocket bags to cut down on bulk.
- Added back pockets, fly shield and topstitching.
- Extended length of waistband by about 5 inches (much better to have too much length IMO that can be shortened as required).
Thanks to Stylish Fabric for the opportunity to add some really versatile pieces to my wardrobe. Sometimes plain basics can be the most valuable thing you can make!