Vogue 1359 is a designer pattern by Julia Alarcon. It is given an “average” sewing rating by Vogue. My version, in some kind of mystery slinky jersey, is definitely more of an “easy” rating. This is a pattern which sews up fast, but gives a fabulous RTW look with its twist knot detail in the front.
The weather is just terrible here at the moment: grey, wet, overcast and downright miserable. Apologies for the quality of the photos, but some were taken with flash and some without. I included a couple of not so sharp ones because I think you can see the knot detail a bit better in them.
So, essentially, I simplified this pattern down by not making, and subsequently encasing the edges with, bias binding. I used my serger instead. I also omitted the side zip and back neck slit, making this a pull on dress. Here’s a close up of my favourite feature of the dress, the twisty knotty thingy….
The only major flaw with this pattern IMO is that Vogue have failed to provide neck-waist measurements. For a dress like this I think it is crucial that the waistline (and knot) hit you at the right spot, otherwise the whole look of the dress is off balance. In the end I just had to go with flat pattern measurements and my usual measurements to adjust the length of the bodice and lining pieces; for a first attempt it worked out ok. The only other thing I am not happy with is that I omitted the facings, and this may have been a mistake as, despite understitching, my lightweight lining is trying to creep up. I think I will go back and try and secure the lining a bit better.
Lined dress has shoulder pleats, semi-fitted bodice, fitted skirt, looped front forms drape effect, slightly shaped front hemline, invisible side zipper, back neck slit with hook & eye closing. Hemlines and seams are finished with continuous bias binding.
6 – 22
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, although my version is made from somekind of mystery slinky jersey.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, they were, including forming the twisty knot. Just take your time and follow exactly what they tell you to do….
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Well, I love the knot detail. I think it really makes the dress look so RTW. There is nothing I dislike as such.
Somekind of mystery slinky jersey.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The only major flaw with this pattern IMO is that Vogue have failed to provide neck-waist measurements. For a dress like this I think it is crucial that the waistline (and knot) hit you at the right spot, otherwise the whole look of the dress is off balance. In the end I just had to go with flat pattern measurements and my usual measurements to adjust the length of the bodice and lining pieces; for a first attempt it worked out ok.
Specifically, I shorted the back and front bodice pieces by 2 inches, and shortened the back lining piece by 0.5 inch, and the front lining piece by 0.5 inch at the sides only. I also did a sway back adjustment of 1 inch.
I lengthened the skirt by 2 inches.
I shortened the sleeves by 3 inches.
If I was making this dress again in jersey I would probably go down a size in the bodice as I did have to remove around 1 inch from either side when sewing up the side seams (I inserted the sleeves in flat). Some of you may prefer to size down on the skirt too, but I went with my normal size and am happy enough with it.
I omitted making the bias binding and encasing the edges with it. Instead I used my serger.
I omitted the side zip and back neck slit. My version just pulls on.
I stabilised the shoulders with clear elastic.
I omitted the facings at the neck, but this may have been a mistake, as despite understitching, my light weight lining is creeping up slightly. I think I will have to go back and rectify this.
The instructions tell you to turn in the seam allowances on the armhole edges of the lining and slipstitch the turned in edges of the lining over the armhole seams. I have not done this, and have left the armhole edges of the lining free as when I tried to catch them to the armhole seams they were pulling the dress in a funny way. If I made this dress again I think I would perhaps sew the armhole edges of the lining and dress together during construction.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I might. Yes, I definitely would.
Don’t be put off by the “average” rating on this one. This is a quick and easy dress to make, with a great RTW look to it, and is a great pattern to have in your stash.
In Other News….
- I am very excited to be taking part in Ornament Exchange 2013, and am hopefully going to finish up my ornaments to send off this week. Blog post to follow on what I am making and what get in the post!
- A huge thank you to Handmade Jane and Sew Scrumptious Fabrics for sending me a lovely parcel earlier this week…I won the giveaway on Jane’s blog for a FQ bundle and one metre of beautiful cotton. Yeah!!
- To finish, Kezia is going to be Mary in her school Nativity play this week. Of course I am going to be one proud Mummy, especially seeing her wear the Mary outfit I made for her. I drafted the under shift with cut on sleeves and the sleeveless overdress myself and the head dress is a rectangle of fabric sewn on to a head band. I leave you with some pictures….it’s getting christmassy around here…..
Until next time…..